Rockstar Games have recently assembled a few helpful tips to get you playing like an ace detective.
- Keep an eye out for newspapers when on case as they give insight
into why various characters are doing what they are doing and how
stories are connected. There are 13 total newspapers in the game, and
they do count toward 100% completion.
- When driving, press 'Square' on PS3 or 'X' on Xbox 360 to get
turn-by-turn directions from your partner. The same button can be used
when you're walking around on a case and not sure what to do next.
- The difference between choosing Doubt and Lie is that you need
evidence to prove someone is Lying. You can choose Doubt if you think
they're holding something back, but you don't have proof.
- Intuition points can be used during questioning to 'Remove An
Answer' and 'Ask The Community', but they can also come in handy when
you are finding clues. In the notebook, choose Intuition and then 'Find
- More powerful weapons can be acquired via the trunk of a police
vehicle when in a shootout, in case you find yourself needing stronger
- Use the in-game log to read everything that's been said by all
characters while on a case. This can help during questioning, and in
ways is more useful than the notebook. Press 'Start' and then choose
- During the Patrol missions Cole will be armed with the Colt .38
hand gun. The only time that Cole flexes this is during the bank
shootout in ‘Armed and Dangerous’. You can equip this by dropping the
shotgun that you start with initially. This will help you towards
getting the ‘Roscoe and Friends’ achievement/trophy.
- Finding it hard to earn five star ratings on cases? Turn off
both the 'Clue Hints' and 'Action Skip' options in the Gameplay
settings, to instantly boost your ratings by 2 stars.
- When chasing a suspect in a vehicle, be sure to drive along the
left side of the vehicle to allow your partner to shoot out the tires
and end the chase early.
- A location will be crossed out in the notebook if all clues have
been found there and if all witnesses and suspects have been
questioned. If you have a location not crossed out, there is still
something to be discovered.
- After completing a desk, you can access Free Roam from one of the folders in the Cases menu, accessed from the main menu.
If you're going for 100% in L.A. Noire, there are 95 vehicles you'll
need to find, along with completing all of the cases, street crimes and
more. Below is a sampling of the rare vehicles in the game, as well as one of just a few locations where you can find them.
- International KB5 - Flatbed
When playing through "Manifest Destiny", find one of these in the
alley behind the building you circle around to sneak up on the rooftop
- Buick Ambulance
Look behind the Good Samaritan Hospital (a landmark) for one of these on Wilshire between Lucas and Witmer.
- Nash Deluxe 600 Army
Parked inside the gates on the west side of Van Ness just south of Lemongrove.
- International Police Wagon
Climb into one of these at the railroad crime scene during 'The Studio Secretary Murder'.
- Studebaker Commander Police
Find one parked at the railroad crime scene during 'The Driver's
Seat'. Get in the car before questioning and finding clues as it won't
be there by the time you're done.
- Packard Custom
Play through 'The Gas Man' until you reach the part when you need to
go to the InstaHeat Factory. One will be sitting in the parking lot.